- Oakland, CA
- Human Resources
- Benefits Administration
- Full Time - Day
- Req #: 29729-20103
- FTE: 1
- Posted: June 28, 2021
Alameda Health System offers outstanding benefits that include:
- 100% employer health plan for employees and their eligible dependents
- Unique benefit offerings that are partially or 100% employer paid
- Rich and varied retirement plans and the ability to participate in multiple plans.
- Generous paid time off plans
We are currently seeking a Benefits Manager to manage our outstanding health and welfare benefits. We are looking for an individual who can proactively lead the administration, communication and implementation of our plans and programs. The Benefits Manger will ensure plans and programs are administered appropriately and in compliance with applicable laws and regulations as well as AHS policies. The Benefits Manager will lead a team of two Benefits Administrators and receive assistance from a Total Rewards Analyst. This role requires an individual who can independently manage projects and day-to-day tasks. The ability to multitask, collaborate and lead a team is critical. This is a partially remote role.
- Select, train, supervise, develop and counsel Benefits staff to ensure a consistent high level of customer service through the timely delivery of accurate information and timely processing of transactions.
- Ensure all benefit plan descriptions and communication materials are accurate and up-to-date; develop communication and training materials related to employee benefits.
- Plan and conduct periodic benefit fairs/educational sessions
- Evaluate and as appropriate, develop and document Benefit policies, practices and procedures; ensure that these policies and practices compliant with applicable laws and regulations and are consistent with plan documents, insurance contracts and Memos of Understanding.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of employee benefit issues, trends and regulations; network with peers, advisors, consultants, and regulators.
- Manage aspects of the Benefits Department including planning and organizing daily operations, providing technical and functional guidance to staff and to leadership.
- Manage relationships with insurers; conduct reviews, analyze utilization, and participate in negotiating contract changes related to benefits and/or services provided.
- Manage relationships with outside vendors including Broker/Consultants, COBRA, FSA and Dependent Verification administrators
- Assist in negotiating renewals and with the RFP process.
- Proactively partner with the HRIS, HR Business Partners, Payroll, Wellness Manager, HR Service Center and other internal groups to achieve optimal results.
- Periodically participate in and analyze employee benefit surveys on behalf of AHS.
- Advise AHS leadership about trends and cost control initiatives.
- Prepare and audit detailed benefit reports and work with HRIS staff to improve and automate reporting metrics.
- Prepare, update and/or review insurance certificates, summary plan descriptions and summary annual reports.
- Assist with supporting labor negotiations with research and guidance on benefit regulations, presenting benefits information, competitive positioning and costing as needed.
Required Experience: Seven (7) to ten (10) years employee benefits related experience in mid-sized organization with increasing responsibility is required as is three (3) or more years of people management experience. Experience working in a healthcare, Union environment for a medium sized organization is preferred, but not required.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Business, Industrial Relations or Human Resources is required.
Licenses/Certifications: Certified Employee Benefit Specialist (CEBS) designation is preferred.