Chief Administrative Officer
- Oakland, CA
- AHS COO Administration
- Full Time - Day
- Req #: 29360-19812
- FTE: 1
- Posted: June 1, 2021
Alameda Health System is seeking a Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) for Highland Hospital. In this role, you will manage the day-to-day facility administrative and financial services for the Highland campus. You will lead and manage the following functions at the Highland campus:
- Ambassador to community – builds goodwill and notoriety of hospital in community
- Strategic planning – develops and executes the strategic plan for the site
- Day to day operations – responsible for the executing on the day-to-day operations at the site and working with leaders in a matrix environment
- Quality, Safety, Service – assures that quality, safety, and service to our patients at the site is best practice and develops site scorecard to benchmark against others.
- Employee engagement – engages staff in activities at the site and creates high employee engagement scores at site.
- Partners in a very collaborative manner with nurse and physician site leaders.
- Financial viability – understands the site finances and works to assure a positive bottom line.
- Develops, maintains and manages facility budgets and costs through the responsible use of planning and control systems which includes taking into consideration forecast levels of operations, cost-effective utilization of resources and realistic financial variances; directs the preparation of budgets and fund allocations based on cost studies; consults with department heads in the formulation of annual and/or long-term plans, goals and objectives for submission to the governing authority.
- Directs and coordinates via a matrixes' environment the activities of several facility departments and divisions; develops operating policies and plans new program involving delivery of new or modified services to comply with improved methods of operation and to keep abreast of changing requirements.
- Interprets policies, objectives and operational procedures to department heads; resolves issues with facility department heads concerning such matters as staffing, HR services and utilization of facilities, equipment and supplies.
- Maintains effective working relationships with the medical and professional staff of AHS facilities by collaborating on administrative activities and policy matters of mutual concern; works in partnership with the medical staff to accomplish the mission of AHS and its freestanding and facility-based clinics.
- Maintains quality patient care services by planning and developing programs to ensure compliance with established county, state and federally mandated policies and procedures, including licensing and accreditation programs.
- Maintains the facility’s physical resources by planning, maintaining and providing necessary equipment and safe, secure, clean facilities for consumers of health care services; recommends improvement of facility-based and freestanding health centers and facilities, including construction or renovation of structures and purchase of new equipment; responsible for strategic, program, facility, financial and operational planning.
- Manages and coordinates the development and maintenance of the annual budgets, including justification of personnel, space allocation, and maintenance and capital improvement projects.
- Meets with members of the community, other County, State or Federal officials on matters of mutual concern and promotes a better understanding of facility and clinic programs and assists in meeting community needs; provides educational opportunities to patients, community groups, facility employees and professional staff that promote facility and clinic goals.
- Monitors performance and effectiveness of subordinate functional areas; directs the preparation of statistical reports required by the COO, federal, state and county agencies and/or licensing and accrediting agencies and associations; supervises business affairs to ensure that funds are collected, protected and negotiates contractual agreements for physicians’ services, consultant services and other services as required.
- Oversees the full compliance with applicable standards for the licensure and accreditation of the assigned facility.
- Oversees the proper administrative control and procedures in such areas as inventory, equipment, requisitioning and storage of supplies; effective utilization of existing resources and forms control.
- Provides effective leadership and people management to ensure a competent and productive labor force; selects, assigns, directs and evaluates the performance of subordinate administrative staff and department heads; supervises, manages and instructs managers of clinical and non-medical sections; selects, trains and supervises subordinate Clinic and Facility Directors; recruits and interviews professional staff for ambulatory clinics and reviews/manages staffing for professional services at ambulatory sites; provides annual reviews of direct reports and physician professional staff.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Education: Master’s degree in healthcare or business (MHA, MBA, MPH)
Required Experience: 10 years of acute care experience