Director, IT Project Management Office
- Oakland, CA
- Information Systems
- SYS IS Master
- Full Time - Day
- Req #: 29115-19619
- FTE: 1
- Posted: April 19, 2021
SUMMARY: Alameda Health System is hiring! The Director of PMO is responsible for the oversight and portfolio management of all company initiatives around the implementation of new innovative digital processes and tools. As head of the Project Management Office, this position is responsible for implementation of necessary actions to deliver successful projects, management of the technology project portfolio, talent management of the team, IT Governance, the IT Budget, the Quality controls within ITIL Framework (Environment Release Management, IT Change Management, and IT testing processes) and coordination of innovation activities with company stakeholders. This position provides positive leadership to effectively lead and manage the functions of project management across all business units. This is a leadership role that requires both strategic and tactical capabilities, excellence in project management and business processes, a deep understanding of data management and its inherent value, and innovation in problem solving for business growth initiatives. Excellent communication skills are required.
DUTIES & ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: NOTE: The following are the duties performed by employees in this classification. However, employees may perform other related duties at an equivalent level. Not all duties listed are necessarily performed by each individual in the classification.
- Act as a thought partner with the IT Leadership team on issues relating to technology strategy.
- Ensures Quality Controls in place for Environment, Release, Testing, and Change Management in alignment with ITIL framework. Accountable for creating standards of operating procedures for the department and provides insights to IT department to ensure we drive compliance and adoption.
- Drive the definition and delivery of product releases, in accordance with IT strategy.
- Accountable for IT Budget oversight, planning, and execution.
- Accountable for IT Governance with the CIO and the IS executive team to ensure the following: Work in collaboration with the IT Leadership team and Operational Stakeholders to execute multi-year organizational strategic plans and roadmaps. Develop multi-year business capability roadmaps with enterprise architecture. Develop a healthy and well-managed initiative portfolio in coordination with the Project Management Office (PMO). Perform detailed market, technical, and operational analysis and provide recommendations. Partners with stakeholders to align the portfolio with strategic goals through the use of IT. Guides the selection, prioritization, balancing and termination of portfolio initiatives to ensure alignment with organizational priorities. Continuously reviews and optimizes the portfolio to ensure agreed timelines are achieved. Conducts portfolio review meetings with executives. Coach and collaborate with business partners and team members to apply and share a common vision for operational excellence, processes, and technologies, in accordance with digital strategy
- Ensure that technology solutions are applied consistently with company values.
- Resolves resource constraints and conflicts that affect the execution of the portfolio.
- Works with PMO team to ensure the smooth running of the portfolio lifecycle.
- Coaches and manages a team of Project and Program Managers for optimal performance.
- Plays a consultative role to help put in place the appropriate people, process, and tools and coaching members of the team as needed to optimize the efficiency of the project team.
- Ensure product (application and system) requirements are implemented in accordance with strategy and project plans; project charters, status reports, action item log, issues/risks management, decision trackers, scope change management, budget management, communications management, operational readiness, Go-Live Readiness assessments, Activation/Go-Live support; transition to support; and lessons learned.
- Develop staff to evaluate activities, projects, products, and investments with a value-based, client- and consultant-focused approach.
- Motivate and provide leadership to staff to ensure the proper allocation of resources to the highest priority deliverables.
- Promote pragmatic innovation by championing value-based, risk-managed investments and guided, disciplined execution.
- Develop framework for the analysis and review of the effective of existing technology toolset.
- Stimulate adoption of technology, vendor partnerships, and solution-based opportunities through effective communication, change management, and visibility.
- Research and review industry trends to benchmark services and strategies.
- Manage and assist the creation and maintenance of Business Technology Cases (BTCs). This involves engaging business sponsors and prioritizing features and corresponding justifications.
- Identify business value when developing ideas with a focus on digital awareness, risk assessment, business continuity and business capability requirements.
- Think strategically by identifying business function opportunities and the best-suited position for the function's adoption within the organization. Measure adoption and work with business leadership to develop future roadmap and opportunities.
- Identify short- and long-term strategic business function opportunities and track adoption across the relevant departments.
- Own the assessment of potential and current solutions, providing detailed analysis to leadership upon request or leading up to contract renewal periods. Where needed, provide leadership with ongoing support and insight related to talent acquisition budgeting, governance, and management.
- Effectively manage and support projects within allotted timeline and budget. Aid in the implementation of small, medium, and enterprise-level solutions.
- Develop documentation related to user needs, solution evolution, change management. Review requirements with business partners, vendors, and consultants. Support change management and provide hands-on assistance where needed.
- Maintain creativity and innovation by staying on top of industry and technological trends. Build and maintain a thorough knowledge base of industry-related technology, industry trends, and general IT best practices. Consult the business on potential means of innovating through technological advancement.
- Manage the enterprise project management tools and methodologies for communicating the status of strategic initiatives and projects.
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities as well as possession of any required licenses or certifications is qualifying.
Education: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Business Administration, Healthcare Administration, and Information Systems Management, Engineering or other related field. Master’s or MBA degree preferred.
Minimum Experience: Eight–ten years of leadership management role overseeing a team; Ten years’ experience building and using PMO methodology, Process, and tools (i.e. Microsoft, Smartsheets, etc.); Five years of experience overseeing IT Budget, IT Governance & Intake, IT resource demand management, and proven and demonstrated project management experience managing multi-phased and highly complex technical and non-technical projects; Complex Project implementation experience required, having a strong understanding of healthcare systems and typical hospital workflows.
Preferred Licenses/Certifications: Project Management Professional (PMP) certification and Five years of overseeing ITIL processes (Environment release management, Testing, and Change management)
- Expertise in one or more project management methodologies, preferably PMI and Agile
- Experience working alongside executive staff to achieve organizational goals
- Strong validated experience with leadership, business insight, problem solving, critical thinking, project management, and analytical skills
- Six Sigma background, a plus