SLH Patient Care Assistant
- San Leandro, CA
- San Leandro Hospital
- SLH Med Surg Second Floor
- Services As Needed / Per Diem - Night
- Req #: 28555-19160
- FTE: 0
- Posted: February 9, 2021
SUMMARY: Under close supervision, the Patient Care Assistant performs a variety of para-professional nursing tasks relating to the care and treatment of patients in the hospital or clinic. Performs routine duties to meet the needs of patients in order to provide safe, quality care. Performs related duties as required.
DUTIES & ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: NOTE: The following are the duties performed by employees in this classification, however, employees may perform other related duties at an equivalent level. Not all duties listed are necessarily performed by each individual in the classification.
1. Takes preventative measures in providing patient care. Protects skin & mucous membranes.
2. Protects patients from falls or other contact injuries. Uses positioning &/or exercise to prevent injury or the complications of immobility. Maintains call light within patient's reach & uses designated communication mechanism for patients w/impaired hearing, speaking skills or language barriers.
3. Assists patients with meals, personal hygiene and incontinent care. Assist licensed staff in giving cleansing and retention enemas to patients. Assist in catheterization and bladder irrigations. Assists registered nurse and licensed vocational nurses in administering treatment and other nursing tasks as needed. Takes patients' vital signs (temperature, pulse, respiration, and blood pressure). Performs routine tests such as urine dip stick, urine pregnancy test. Reports findings to supervising personnel. Administers simple range of motion exercises. Assists in application of traction devices. Positions and drapes patients for examination or treatment. Transports patients to other areas of the hospital in wheelchair or gurneys.
4. Promptly answers call lights promptly and administers to patient comfort and safety by adjusting beds, lights, bed rails, pillows, patients’ clothing and bedside tables/equipment. Observes and reports any deviation in patients’ condition/status. Keeps patient areas clean and orderly.
5. Obtains and sets up suction equipment. Turns and positions patients. Assists patients to and from wheelchairs and gurneys. Assists patients with ambulation.
6. When assigned as a sitter, responsible for but not limited to protecting the patient(s)/resident(s) from harm and assisting in meeting their emotional and physical needs through one-to-one continuous observation. Provide on-going observation and basic patient care. Educate patients on health related topics or discharge information per scope of duties.
7. When assigned to an outpatient setting, prepares examination room, ensuring that it is stocked with the necessary supplies, equipment and instruments for the type of clinic to be held. Weighs, takes and documents patients’ vital signs. Assists physicians or mid level practitioners during the examinations as directed. Collects, labels and takes specimens to the lab. Assists in the maintenance of a clean and well supplied clinical area. Stocks shelves and monitors expiration of medical supplies and medications.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Education: High School diploma or GED with additional training a minimum. College graduate preferred. Minimum Experience: Six months para-professional nursing training as a Hospital Services Trainee with AHS or the equivalent of one year full-time recent experience performing work comparable to a Nursing Assistant in a hospital or medical facility. Required Licenses/Certifications: BLS - Basic Life Support Certification issued by the American Heart Association. Other advanced life support certifications may be required per unit/department specialty according to patient care policies. Required Licenses/Certifications: CPI -Crisis Prevention Intervention Training (required for certain positions in the Emergency Department). Required Licenses/Certifications: Current Nursing Assistant certification.