Director, IT Project Management Office
- Oakland, CA
- Information Systems
- SYS IS Master
- Full Time - Day
- Req #: 28059-18742
- FTE: 1
- Posted: December 3, 2020
SUMMARY: The Director, IT PMO provides oversight for a variety of projects within IT/IS Services to successfully achieve the desired outcomes of the projects. This position collaborates with other IT/IS directors, clinical and non-clinical staff, and vendors to resource project needs. The Director, IT PMO utilizes project management methodologies to direct project activities and communications. He/she will organize, direct, and assume responsibility for all IT/IS project management activities related to the development and delivery of high-quality project management solutions. This position is supporting an emerging and continually developing IT/IS project management strategy. Performs related duties as required.
DUTIES & ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: NOTE: The following are the duties performed by employees in this classification. However, employees may perform other related duties at an equivalent level. Not all duties listed are necessarily performed by each individual in the classification.
- Define and implement project management standards, procedures, and processes as well as Project Management Institute (PMI) Best Practices. Supervise and assist Program and Project Managers to ensure process adherence; verify and monitor all IT/IS project life cycles at AHS on an ongoing basis
- Design the IT PMO team structure, roles, and responsibilities of team members and staff accordingly; Lead and motivate IT PMO department staff; communicates regularly to maximize synergy between all areas as appropriate
- Oversee Project Managers as they prepare project documentation including project plans, schedules, project charters, status reports, risk assessment plans, change requests, and resource requests. Provide a framework where project deliverables are reviewed for quality assurance and process adherence; oversees multiple enterprise IT/IS related initiatives in conjunction with all relevant AHS departments and vendors
- Act as a mentor and leader to the IT PMO team, ensuring they have the coaching, mentoring, resources and training needed to produce high quality results as well as skill development; maintains a high degree of interpersonal skills to counsel, communicate and effectively manage a wide variety of professionals
- Oversee a portfolio of IT/IS projects by having direct involvement with and oversight of project managers from planning to project closure; facilitate communication and up to date work progress across IT management. Ensure executive reporting related to project status, schedules, resources, and costs are accurate and updated in a timely manner
- Provide formal project status reporting to executive management in various modes, styles and reporting venues including reports, presentations in meetings, graphs, and measures of progress; establish and maintain sound working relationships with key business leaders, the CIO, CMIO, CTO, AHS partners, Physicians, and Third Party Vendors
- Oversee the ongoing development and continuous improvement of the IT Project Management Office function
- Determine time frames, funding needs, procedures for accomplishing IT/IS project and staffing requirements
- Ensure IT PMO project life cycle methodologies are followed including the use and adoption of project management tools; establish and maintain project management standards, templates, and toolsets including project planning, time and effort estimations, and tracking; establish a reporting framework used for detailed project status tracking and promotion of information for executive level reporting; summary reports and dashboards
- Play a key role in the enterprise implementation and adoption of new project management software tools; defining requirements, design, and implementation / usage of the tool; integrate project management and business processes with new tools to optimize project management planning, tracking, change control, and communication solutions
- Drive operational effectiveness by engaging key executive business stakeholders and tailoring IT/IS projects per their criteria for success; provide leadership when engaged in large cross-functional teams and have the flexibility to influence and assist people at a variety of levels internally and externally.
- Identify cost savings strategies appropriate to the IT/IS department and implement action plans providing measurable cost savings; finds opportunities to leverage the existing tools, assets, and resources. Strive to decrease costs by eliminating duplication, mitigating errors and optimize communications; ensure timely, accurate and comprehensive development of project expense and capital equipment budgets. Ensure adherence to operating and capital equipment budgets; proactively develop new approaches to problem solving, reaching goals and/or new programs to ensure needs are met
- Manage the IT/IS Project Management intake process to determine priority, resourcing, deliverables and execution of all large scale and smaller scale cross-functional projects throughout the organization. Oversee the creation and update of procedures aimed at improving processes and coordination between departments.
- Work with various stakeholders to ensure proper identification and allocation of resources to key projects and ensure the effective prioritization of resources for key strategic projects; review all projects in the IT/IS portfolio on a regular basis to ensure the alignment with the current year and long-term strategic objectives
Education: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Business Administration, Healthcare Administration, and Information Systems Management, Engineering or other related field.
Minimum Experience: Eight–ten years proven and demonstrated project management experience managing multi-phased and highly complex technical and non-technical projects. Complex Project implementation experience required, having a strong understanding of healthcare systems and typical hospital workflows.
PREFERRED: Master’s or MBA degree preferred
REQUIRED LICENSES/CERTIFICATION: Project Management Professional (PMP) certification