Medical Social Worker II
- Oakland, CA
- Highland General Hospital
- Other Grant-Sexual Assault
- Full Time - Varies
- Care Management
- Req #: 27862-18606
- FTE: 1
- Posted: November 18, 2020
SUMMARY: Under general supervision, to provide intensive medical social casework and discharge planning for ACMC patients, outpatient clinics, and public health programs; participates in patient care planning in cooperation with other members of a multi-disciplinary health care team; and to perform related duties as required.
DUTIES & ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: NOTE: The following are the duties performed by employees in this classification. However, employees may perform other related duties at an equivalent level. Not all duties listed are necessarily performed by each individual in the classification.
1. Receives referrals on an assigned medical service; reviews medical and social information; makes assessment and documents findings in patient’s medical record.
2. Interviews patients and their families for social study and diagnosis; analyzes background data to determine the factors involved in the patients’ emotional problems; develops a plan of treatment and sets treatment goals; obtains psychiatric evaluation and diagnosis where necessary.
3. Meets with selected patients individually or in groups for regular therapeutic interviews; guides the patient in understanding the nature of his illness; confers with patients and their families to prepare for the patients’ discharge; encourages patients to develop realistic plans and advises on community resources and facilities; makes referrals and other arrangements for housing and general medical after-care; acts as liaison between the department and public and private agencies.
4. Participates in making rounds with the hospital medical staff; interprets the social factors affecting patients and assists the medical staff by indicating the degree and severity of emotional factors adversely affecting the patients; consults with individual medical persons to discuss specific patients.
5. In public health programs, reviews past health and medical records; assesses clients’ needs including psychosocial, physical status and medical care, living arrangements and vocational assessments; identifies individuals who meet program eligibility criteria at various points of entry such as clinics, hospitals, treatment centers, etc.; develops individual care plans; encourages participation in health care system through counseling; assesses and helps remove barriers to client’s utilization of health services; refers client to community resources; monitors and tracks client status; represents the client’s needs and rights to providers and community in a variety of settings; maintains written client record; attends team meetings to provide case consultation; provides outreach to individual clients and the community which serves the target population.
6. Prepares case reports; documents treatment plan, progress notes and discharge summary related information as required by Medicare, medical, Title 22 and other mandated regulations according to Department standards; prepares correspondence regarding social evaluation of patient, patient follow-up and the like; keeps required statistics.
7. Keeps informed of trends and new developments in the field; reads the professional literature.
QUALIFICATIONS: Either I One year of experience in the class of Medical Social Worker I with ACMC. Or II Education: Possession of a Master's degree in Social Welfare awarded by a recognized college or university with specialization in medical or psychiatric social work, AND Experience: The equivalent of two years full-time post-MSW experience as a medical social worker in a hospital or public health department. License: Certain positions may require possession of California Motor Vehicle Operator's license.