Director, Clinical Applications
- Oakland, CA
- Information Systems
- SYS BI Interfaces
- Full Time - Day
- Req #: 27872-18614
- FTE: 1
- Posted: October 30, 2020
SUMMARY: Alameda Health System is looking for a transformational clinical applications leader who can partner with clinical operations to assist in strategic and tactical planning and execution. This consummate leader will help in the acceleration and adoption of enhanced functionality with Epic's core clinical applications and complementing solutions. Critical to our customers’ success will require application analyst teams having advanced knowledge and skills of the Epic platform and complementing technologies and a broad, and at times, deep understanding of operational roles and workflows. The leader will be responsible for creating an environment conducive to advancing the teams’ knowledge through ongoing learning and professional development.
DUTIES & ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: NOTE: The following are the duties performed by employees in this classification. However, employees may perform other related duties at an equivalent level. Not all duties listed are necessarily performed by each individual in the classification.
- Directs the daily operations of the Clinical Applications Team and is responsible for the human resource activities, budgeting and overall departmental management and supervision; establishes departmental goals and objectives and reports accomplishments and plans on a regular basis
- Provides and articulates resource requirements (financial, technical, and human resource), risk analysis and impact of requested information system projects for Clinical Services departments
- Proactively resolves issues encountered during and post system implementation working with all levels of personnel both internal and external to the institution
- Defines, negotiates and delivers all IT services related to the application portfolio; participates in IT services negotiations and agreements that result in the creation of Service Level Agreements
- Evaluates new technologies, software, vendors that may provide opportunities for solutions or new applications necessary to accomplish institutional goals, objectives, and strategies particular to the Clinical Services departments
- Coaches, mentors and leads Clinical Applications Team staff to continuously improve on technical and interpersonal capabilities; collaborates with peers and management to identify, develop and implement training and development for assigned staff as well as across other teams; focuses on developing teams along with creating and sustaining synergies across IS and operational teams is essential to success
- Responsible for communicating all departmental and patient care mandatory regulatory requirements staff for compliance
- Works jointly with Project Management Office project managers and other information systems groups to implement projects
- Communicates with the user community on clinical systems projects, especially in relation to their goals, status and expected outcomes, as well as overall information systems vision and strategies
- Assumes fiscal responsibility including overall budget performance for the acquisition, development, installation, implementation and maintenance of clinical system projects
- Establishes strategic and tactical input regarding clinical system strategies in support of IS business strategies and priorities; researches and plans the appropriate application, associated technologies and solutions to meet changing business directives; analyzes risk & return profiles of new applications for necessary acquisitions
- Establish and maintain sound working relationships with key clinical leaders, VP of Applications, CIO, CTO, CISO, CMIO & Informatics team, Executive Team, AHS partners, Physicians, and third-party vendors. Acts as the lead interface between Vice President of Applications and the Clinical Applications Teams
- Provides leadership in large cross-functional teams to influence and assist people at a variety of levels internally and externally
- Develops long and short-range plans according to the overall IS strategic plan for modifications, evaluation, testing and maintenance of clinical systems
- Responsible for the day-to-day support of all clinical applications, contributing to the IS strategic plan regarding system requirements and operational effectiveness for each application sector
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities as well as possession of any required licenses or certifications is qualifying.
Required Education: Bachelor’s degree in relevant field of study, or equivalent combination of work experience and training is required.
Preferred Education: Master’s degree.
Required Experience: Ten years’ clinical IT experience; seven years in a management role responsible for managing patient care related applications; five years’ experience with Epic’s clinical suite of applications; experience with Contract Management lifecycle related to software, hardware and consulting services; design and implementation of application management processes and policies; leadership experience collaborating with middle and senior management in order to build cross-organizational consensus, identify synergies and driving process and operational improvements; experience in management of multiple high-performing and cohesive clinical application teams in support of software development and project management lifecycle.
Preferred Experience: experience within a Sr. leadership role (i.e. Director); experience working in federally qualified health centers; experience with implementing and supporting large complex EHR platform
Preferred Licenses/Certifications: Epic certification in core clinical applications.