This job posting is no longer active.
- San Leandro, CA
- San Leandro Hospital
- SLH Clinical Lab
- Services As Needed / Per Diem - Varies
- Allied Health
- Req #: 27350-18195
- FTE: 0
- Posted: October 28, 2020
SUMMARY: The SLH Phlebotomist, under direction, follows written and verbal instructions. Draws blood from patients in hospital, or obtains other required samples, for analysis or other medical purposes. Interacts with departments throughout hospital, as well as patients and physicians. Must be able to perform routine duties without immediate supervision. Performs related duties as required.
DUTIES & ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: NOTE: The following are the duties performed by employees in this classification, however, employees may perform other related duties at an equivalent level. Not all duties listed are necessarily performed by each individual in the classification.
1. Assembles equipment such as tourniquet, needles, disposable containers for needles, blood collection devices, gauze, cotton, and alcohol on work tray according to requirements for specified tests or procedures.
2. Verifies or records identity of patient or donor and converses with patient or donor to allay fear of procedure. Obtains samples; locates accessible vein, swabs puncture area with antiseptic, and inserts needle into vein to draw blood into collection tube or bag. Withdraws needle, applies treatment to puncture site, and labels and stores blood container for subsequent processing. Is able to obtain sample from patients of all ages. Conducts patient interviews and draws blood samples. Able to perform 12 or more venipunctures per hour with 100% accuracy regarding patient ID and test requirements. Visits off-site locations offices to collect samples from patients as needed.
3. Plans and organizes work effectively in heavy workload situations to expedite results.
4. Delivers lab reports in a timely manner, files lab slips alphabetically with no errors, and distributes physician copies with no errors. Inputs data into hospital computer system, including charges, blood bank, drop?off, mini registration.
5. Answers incoming telephone messages, routing call to the proper person or section.
6. Performs and records any equipment maintenance as required. Maintains work area in neat and safe manner; monitors and maintains appropriate levels of supplies.
7. Follows hospital and Lab policies regarding attendance, attends department meetings as required.
8. Performs Pathology related duties when Lead Phlebotomist is ill or on vacation
9. Serves as a resource in the areas of Laboratory Office Services, Send Out Testing, and Medical Records Chart Requirements
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Education: High school diploma or general education degree (GED). Minimum Experience: Six months to one year related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Required Certification/Licenses: Valid California Phlebotomy Certificate.