SLH OR Technician
This job posting is no longer active.
- San Leandro, CA
- San Leandro Hospital
- SLH Surgery
- Services As Needed / Per Diem - Varies
- Allied Health
- Req #: 27713-18494
- FTE: 0
- Posted: November 6, 2020
Job Summary: The SLH OR Technician works under general supervision in delivering safe and effective care to the patient during the intraoperative period. The SLH OR Technicians assist Surgeons, Registered Nurses, and Anesthesiologists with supplies, instruments, and procedures within the surgery unit, they are clinically competent. They may be used as scrub nurses (sterile) in the operating rooms and as witnesses for blood transfusions and certain legal documents. Performs related duties as required. Effectively interacts with patients and health care team members, while maintaining the surgical department standards.
DUTIES & ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: NOTE: The following are the duties performed by employees in this classification, however, employees may perform other related duties at an equivalent level. Not all duties listed are necessarily performed by each individual in the classification.
1. Assists registered nurse in planning patient's surgical intervention in a logical sequence according to established physician's preference card, scheduled procedure, and individual patient needs.
2. Able to provide intervention for all patient populations (i.e., pediatric, adolescent, adult, geriatric).
3. Maintains asepsis: Checks indicators and integrity of packages for each patient procedure.
4. Recognizes boundaries between sterile and non sterile.
5. Scrub: Acts as a operating room technician for surgical procedures and checks aseptic technique of surgery personnel. Accurately performs all sponge, needle, and sharp counts at appropriate times according to department standards. Demonstrates proper use of instruments, equipment, suturing, and stapling devices. Saves and properly identifies all specimens according to department policy and procedure. Prepares instrumentation according to physician preference card and scheduled procedure.
6. Follows department policy for wearing personal protective equipment during all procedures. Demonstrates proper concepts of draping according to department standards. Assists surgeons with instruments and putting on gowns and gloves; leaves operating room to get supplies or equipment that is being requested by a surgeon, registered nurses or anesthesiologist. Prepares the case cart postoperatively for central sterilizing return according to department policy. Prepares and properly disposes of sharps, blood, and waste according to hospital/department safety policy.
7. Maintains unit: Maintains a clean, neat, and safe environment for patients and staff according to hospital and department policy. Ensures that supplies and equipment necessary for patient care are stored in an organized and efficient manner. When necessary, cleans operating room suite between cases.
8. Prepares and sterilizes supplies and equipment used in the unit; drapes and covers operating and instrument tables; lays out supplies and equipment in appropriate fashion for scheduled or emergency cases; replaces used supplies with fresh supplies for the following cases: assures there is an adequate level of supplies; discards outdated drugs; orders and checks supplies that come from the Pharmacy and Central Supplies; stores and cleans cabinets periodically.
9. Maintains equipment: Demonstrates correct and safe technique in the use of equipment according to specific product information and policy and procedure manuals. Follows appropriate procedure for obtaining and returning or cleaning/disposing of equipment and supplies. Promptly reports malfunctioning equipment to the appropriate charge person. Performs maintenance on equipment; sees that preventative maintenance and other necessary repairs are ordered and done on all equipment in the department.
Qualifications: Education: High School Graduate. Education: Certificate of completion from an operating room technician program. Minimum Experience: Minimum of one-year recent preoperative experience. Required Licenses/Certifications: BLS - Basic Life Support Certification - issued by AHA-American Heart Association. Preferred Licenses/Certifications: ORT Certification.