Physical Therapist I
- San Leandro, CA
- San Leandro Hospital
- SLH Physical Therapy Rehab
- Services As Needed / Per Diem - Day
- Allied Health
- Req #: 27764-18537
- FTE: 0
- Posted: October 13, 2020
SUMMARY: Under the mentoring/supervision of a Physical Therapist II, demonstrates professional judgment, attitude, and growth in providing patient care with a minimum of supervision after the initial training and orientation phase. Selects and performs appropriate tests and measurements for evaluation of physical and functional limitations, and devises appropriate therapeutic interventions involving exercise, functional training, manual therapy, modalities, assistive devices, bracing, taping, wound care,etc. Establishes a prognosis and plan of care for the treatment of each patient. Responsible for the coordination and scheduling of care for their patients, communication with patient, family, and other care givers, communication with physicians and other disciplines, and documentation of findings and outcomes. Assumes other responsibilities in the department such as program development, staff education, and student education. As appropriate, delegates treatment to the Physical Therapy Aide and monitors that treatment program. Complies with all legal and ethical standards of the state and the profession. Performs related duties as required.
DUTIES & ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: NOTE: The following are the duties performed by employees in this classification. However, employees may perform other related duties at an equivalent level. Not all duties listed are necessarily performed by each individual in the classification.
1. Attends team meetings and conferences on patient care and discharge planning.
2. Attends, participates, and contributes to in-service educational training.
3. Communicates with family, case managers, health insurers, etc. as appropriate.
4. Confers with other PT’s, aides, and department manager as appropriate for problem solving and program planning.
5. Confers with referring physicians, and health care team about patient status.
6. Completes required administrative forms for leave of absences, payroll, and statistics.
7. Writes clear, concise, legible, and objective information on patient evaluations, progress notes, discharge notes, equipment orders, and insurance forms and records accurate daily treatment attendance and charges.
8. Miscellaneous: Able to use computer for charge entry and credit, retrieval of demographic info and lab/ x-ray results, generating referrals.
9. Participates in gathering data for Quality Assurance and Performance Improvement.
10. Participates in student program as a clinical instructor.
11. Participates in task force groups for program improvement.
12. Uses appropriate safety measures – body mechanics, infection control, environmental hazard control; cleans treatment area after use.
13. Administers comprehensive PT evaluations, using tests and measurements appropriate for the patient’s diagnosis, age, and disabilities.
14. Assesses the need for appropriate assistive devices for ambulation, exercise, joint protection, and pain control. Orders necessary equipment.
15. Delegates appropriate PT tasks to the PT Aide or PT Assistant.
16. Develops and implements a treatment plan using various physical therapy procedures, group classes, modalities, and techniques to produce changes in patient outcomes.
17. Educates patient, family, other caregivers in self-care, prevention and wellness, home exercise programs, use of equipment, and safety.
Education: Graduation from an approved school of Physical Therapy.
Minimum Experience: Entry level position; recent experience in another clinical setting related to the area of proposed supervision (acute medical, rehab, SNF, or outpatient) preferred.
Required Licenses/Certifications:BLS-Basic Life Support Certification - issued by AHA-American Heart Association.
Required Licenses/Certifications: Eligibility for, or possession of, a valid certificate to practice as a Registered Physical Therapist in the State of California.