AHD Nurse Manager
- Alameda, CA
- Alameda Hospital
- AHD Emergency Dept
- Full Time - Day
- Req #: 27719-18499
- FTE: 1
- Posted: September 25, 2020
SUMMARY: The AHD Nurse Manager coordinates the management of nursing care within the department in accordance with approved Nursing Standards, regulatory requirements and System policies and procedures. The AHD Nurse Manager provides for safe, effective and appropriate patient care in a cost-effective manner. Performs related duties as required.
DUTIES & ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: NOTE: The following are the duties performed by employees in this classification, however, employees may perform other related duties at an equivalent level. Not all duties listed are necessarily performed by each individual in the classification.
1. Demonstrates awareness of self-learning needs and seeks ways to meet these in order to maintain current competency and respond to new clinical andmanagement demands.
2. Demonstrates effective leadership skills, including delegations, organization and coordination of the deparment; delegates these responsibilities to designated staff as appropriate.
3. Develops and maintains effective communication mechanisms in the department with staff, physicians, patients and families and between the department and other departments within the Hospital.
4. Functions as role model to all employees in the department. Demonstrates competency in clinical judgment, selected technical skills and appropriate knowledge base, provides clinical direction to staff and evaluates the level of care provided. Demonstrates adherence to safety and legal requirements established at the System, the Hospital and Department level. Collaborates with planning and participates in the clinical and leadership development of employees in department.
5. Oversees the planning and implementation of quality assessment activities. Inputs data in Med Marx and monitors and maintains notification forms.
6. Participates in the interview, selection and orientation process for all new employees. Directs efforts at retention by maintaining staff and minimizing staff turnover. Clarifies job roles, establishes challenging but achievable expectations and standards and enriches jobs to motivate staff and improve department functioning. Promotes teamwork, evaluates individual performance and mentors employees for effectiveness and professional growth.
7. Prepares annual budget and justifies budgetary requests; prepares or supervises the preparation of various cost reports.
8. Responsible for communicating important system-level and hospital-specific information to staff. Ensures staff is informed of important updates and changes in policy and procedures both in the department and throughout the Alameda Health System.
9. Responsible for staff schedule for the department – in accordance with the departments’ staffing pattern ratios and the availability of personnel. Adjusts the schedules as needed with close communication with the staffing coordinator.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:Minimum Experience: Five years progressive nursing experience. Preferred Experience: Two years managerial experience.
Preferred Education: Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN).
Required Education: Graduate of an accredited Nursing School.
Required Licenses/Certification: Current Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) certification issued by the American Heart Association.
Required Licenses/Certification: Current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification issued by the American Heart Association.
Required Licenses/Certifications: Current license to practice as a Registered Nurse in the State of California.