Labor Relations Specialist
This job posting is no longer active.
- Oakland, CA
- Human Resources
- HR Labor Relations
- Services As Needed / Per Diem - Day
- Business Professional & IT
- Req #: 27501-18316
- Posted: September 23, 2020
SUMMARY: Under general supervision, coordinates the day-to-day operation of the AHS employer-employee labor relations program by performing a wide variety of technical, analytical and administrative activities and other related work as requested.
DUTIES & ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: NOTE: The following are the duties performed by employees in this classification. However, employees may perform other related duties at an equivalent level. Not all duties listed are necessarily performed by each individual in the classification.
1. Acts as a key resource to managers, employees, union representatives, and Counsel in various aspects of labor relations policies/procedures, MOU language interpretation etc.; answers questions that involve searching for and abstracting data and detailed explanation of laws, policies, or procedures.
2. In conjunction with the Education Department, coordinates training on newly negotiated MOU; prepares materials for the training. Assists in the preparation of the presentation.
3. 2nd chair negotiator during reduction in force meetings, bid shift meet & confer meetings etc.
4. Compiles information in support of labor negotiations, contract administration, and grievances.
5. Project manages labor negotiations, which includes but is not limited to: preparing team contact lists, tracking proposals, and scheduling meeting dates and locations.
6. Creates and maintains excellent records, electronic and physical documents, which include, but not limited to: bargaining record (proposals, notes, and correspondence) and the grievance data base.
7. Handles confidential information including actions to be taken on sensitive matters and relieves Director of certain administrative functions by independently performing administrative support tasks and researching problems; refers matters to appropriate staff when appropriate.
8. Coordinates, implements, and acts as Project lead on a variety of Labor Relations related projects, and initiatives; provides operational and procedural support to the Director of Labor Relations and Labor Relations Consultants by coordinating and assisting with day-to-day Labor Relations operations.
9. Coordinates all Skelly Hearings, assigns Skelly officer, attend all Skelly Hearings and serves as note-taker at all Skelly Hearings.
10. Serves as department on-boarding partner.
11. Serves as note-taker in negotiations.
12. Authors correspondence related to Requests for Information, Union Notices, etc.
13. Prepares complex spreadsheets that compare contract provisions across all Collective Bargaining Agreements.
14. Coordinates, prepares, and submits Purchase Orders, Invoices, and Expense Reimbursements to Accounts Payable for payment; tracks, investigates, and resolves billing/payment discrepancies; handles paperwork for accounts payable.
15. Assembles and sends lay-off packets to union and employees.
16. Maintains Labor Relations intranet and intranet sites; monitors information on AHS’s intranet website, including current MOUs, and Labor Relations team contact information.
17. Researches employees’ information and generates reports in preparation for negotiations, grievances, investigations, disciplines, arbitrations, terminations, litigation, etc.
18. Performs other duties as assigned.
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities as well as possession of any required licenses or certifications is qualifying.
Required Education: High School diploma or equivalent.
Preferred Education: Associate's Degree or completion of at least 60 semester or 90 quarter units from an accredited college or business school.
Required Experience: Three years of administrative experience.