- Oakland, CA
- Payroll Accounting
- Full Time - Day
- Req #: 27580-18384
- FTE: 1
- Posted: Yesterday
SUMMARY: Under the direction of the Controller, the Payroll Manager manages and administers the day-to-day operations of the Payroll Department involved in the processing of time and earnings records for AHS employees and the distribution of payroll checks. Prepares reports and makes payments for filing or transmittal to the union, insurance carriers, and government agencies. Provides leadership in the development, implementation and maintenance of a computerized payroll system. Performs related work as required.
DUTIES & ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: NOTE: The following are the duties performed by employees in this classification, however, employees may perform other related duties at an equivalent level. Not all duties listed are necessarily performed by each individual in the classification.
1. Assists in the interviewing and hiring process of new employees for the payroll department.
2. Develops, recommends and implements payroll policy and procedural materials for the management and administration of AHS's payroll function.
3. Interprets hospital policies, government regulations, and pertinent provisions of the collective bargaining agreements as relate to payroll functions. Keeps abreast of new developments and changes in these areas.
4. Manages the day-to-day operations of the payroll unit. Reviews work of support staff to
ensure accuracy and compliance with payroll policies and procedures.
5. Oversee the processing of manual payments, including termination checks and reports
to unemployment compensation department. Reviews Payroll reports and monitors the accuracy and quality of service.
6. Provides leadership in the development, implementation and maintenance of a
computerized payroll system. Participates in the evaluation of computerized payroll system products and makes recommendations to Controller.
7. Supervises record-keeping of all payroll-related portions of the employee's personnel file, such as changes in pay, W-4 form, benefits deductions, support payments, garnishments, and automatic bank deposits.
8. Trains staff in correct calculation of hours worked and correct entry of data to payroll system. Performs the more complex payroll accounting functions and transactions.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Education: Bachelor's Degree required. Experience: Five plus years Managerial experience and five plus years experience overseeing an in-house payroll system. Experience working with payroll information systems such as Lawson, ADP/Horizon or PeopleSoft in a healthcare environment is highly desirable. Required Licenses/Certifications: Active member of the American Payroll Association. Required Licenses/Certifications: Certified Payroll Professional Certification preferred.