Director, Budgeting & Operational Business Planning
- Oakland, CA
- Financial Planning + Analysis
- Full Time - Day
- Req #: 27232-18107
- FTE: 1
- Posted: Yesterday
SUMMARY: Partners with senior leaders to provide input and guidance on operational business plans and to provide strategic financial input and leadership on decision-making issues affecting the line(s) of service across the system, including commenting on variances to plan, forecast and prior year; provides leadership, support and guidance to the Budget Oversight, FTE and Capital Committees; prepares presentations to senior management team and the Board of Trustees; leads the budgeting, forecasting, and implementation of the financial team to contribute to the well managed financial growth and sustainability of Alameda Health System.
DUTIES & ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: NOTE: The following are the duties performed by employees in this classification. However, employees may perform other related duties at an equivalent level. Not all duties listed are necessarily performed by each individual in the classification.
1. Leads the consolidation, assessment and reporting on business plan performance and Service Line analyses, including risks and opportunities, as well as recommending actions to identify value creation opportunities that improve business outcomes.
2. Supervises business planning, financial analyst and accounting staff in developing variance reports, ensuring accurate and current cost standards; and in continuous testing for the reasonableness of budget assumptions against cost standards.
3. Responsible for developing forecasting and budgeting model for the system, within the planning application Decision Support System.
4. Develops cost accounting allocation for expenses from general ledger account levels to patient charge detail costing.
5. Develops key forecast assumptions through the integration of the capital plan into the strategic and financial plan, and project operational forecasts by business unit, using encounter level reimbursement and cost data, market and industry research, strategic plans and other operational factors.
6. Forecasts units of service volumes and gross revenue based on complete and up to date budget documentation; supervises in updating and maintaining the position control.
7. Proficiency Level Conducts studies including evaluation of dept capacity, receivables management and cash management through scenario-based forecasting.
8. Coordinates integration of the annual forecast into the system-wide and departmental budgets in the source system.
9. Coordinates the consolidation of operating and capital budgets, including the evaluation of assumptions and the integration of strategic plans, into operational and capital budgets.
10. Responsible for the decision support functions in system by reconciling and mapping of actual data in Decision Support System (EPSI) to source systems including Lawson General Ledger Accounting system and Patient level data from EPIC.
11. Leads and coordinates quarterly benchmarking data submission, conducting benchmark report training and leading teams to work with operation leaders in contributing to accurate department profile mapping, data mapping and statistics reporting; provides data and advise System wide labor optimization initiatives to reach goal.
12. Develops business pro-forma assumptions including volume projections, reimbursement by payor calculation and cost.
13. Proactively seeks ways to improve business, accounting and budgeting processes, including evaluation and implementation of new budgeting and reporting tools.
14. Responsible for structure and goals of the Finance Department including recruitment, hiring, on-boarding and training, allocation of resources; and supervision of all department staff including mentoring, assignment of work, performance evaluation, conflict-resolution and progressive discipline.
15. Oversees Decision Support team involving data integrity and accuracy within the Decision Support System (e.g. EPSi) and external reporting for budget reporting, monthly financial reporting, productivity management and benchmarking data submission.
16. Performs other duties as assigned.
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities as well as possession of any required licenses or certifications is qualifying.
Preferred Education: Master’s degree in healthcare administration, finance, or MBA.
Preferred Experience: CPA
Preferred Experience: Supervisory experience.
Required Education: Bachelor’s degree in healthcare finance or related field.
Required Experience: Five years of experience working with healthcare budgeting and finance; experience with clinical, and financial/billing healthcare data (ICD-10, CPT, MS-DRG) within a hospital system, healthcare payor, or health care services organization; operations management, consulting or decision support; experience analyzing data within relational database systems and tools; experience in managing and leading financial analysts; three years experience in leading the Long-Range financial planning analysis and working with key organization stakeholders in collecting assumptions, evaluating strategic business opportunities, developing proformas and modeling the long-range financial plan (3-5 years); experience in Cost Accounting methodology and Service Line Reporting and analysis.