Lab Assistant II
- Oakland, CA
- Highland General Hospital
- HGH CLINICAL LABORATORY
- Full Time - Evening
- Allied Health
- Req #: 27154-18048
- Posted: July 24, 2020
SUMMARY: This series specification describes two Laboratory Assistant classes which, under close supervision (of a certified licensed laboratory professional) at the lower level and under supervision at the higher level, wash and clean glassware and utensils; keep the laboratory in a clean and orderly condition; perform routine preparation for laboratory testing; perform specified tests; and do work as required.
DUTIES & ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: NOTE: The following are the duties performed by employees in this classification. However, employees may perform other related duties at an equivalent level. Not all duties listed are necessarily performed by each individual in the classification.
1. May assist in the preparation of test under the supervision of a certified or licensed laboratory professional; prepares a variety of bacteriological media following established instructions and directions including the weighing, boiling, autoclaving and dispensing of media; prepares specimens for shipping and maintains accurate records.
2. Operates laboratory equipment such as the steam autoclaves, water distilling apparatus, centrifuges, and the glassware washer; performs operator maintenance on laboratory equipment.
3. With required training, performs venous and skin punctures to obtain blood samples for test purposes.
4. Maintains glassware for the laboratory; washes, rinses, dries, distributes and stores glassware such as test tubes, beakers, flasks and cylinders; maintains cleanliness and orderliness of work areas including disinfecting workbenches, materials, equipment and other laboratory areas; prepares and sterilizes laboratory supplies, equipment and other materials.
5. Makes solutions of acids and other chemical reagents required for cleaning; prepares reagents using prescribed formulas and following standard procedures.
6. Makes round of wards picking up specimens such as urine, stool and tissue; makes entries in laboratory records and routes specimens to the proper laboratory; makes entries in patient medical charts of laboratory test results.
7. Maintains stocks of laboratory supplies and material and maintains appropriate records.
8. Performs clerical duties such as charging laboratory slips, logging test requests and recording temperatures; receives and signs for evidence from officers and couriers; logs in evidence and keeps accurate records; types evidence release forms; releases evidence to proper agencies.
9. With proper training, performs venous and skin punctures to obtain blood samples for test purposes.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Either I Education: One year as a Laboratory Assistant I. Or II The equivalent of two years full-time work experience in a clinical laboratory, crime laboratory or related unit involving the preparation of various media, acids, chemical reagents and the sterilization of laboratory equipment and materials.