Manager, Midwifery Services
- Oakland, CA
- Highland General Hospital
- Full Time - Varies
- Req #: 27063-17978
- FTE: 1
- Posted: September 25, 2020
SUMMARY: The Manager, Midwifery Services plans, organizes, and manages the Certified Nurse-Midwives,
who manage normal childbirth and provide ante-partum, intra-partum post-partum, and routine GYN care to
patients. Supervises other support staff working in conjunction with the Certified Nurse-Midwives. Provides
full people management authority over a unit of midwives and/or acts as a shift supervisor. Perform related
duties as required.
DUTIES & ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: NOTE: The following are the duties performed by employees
in this classification. However, employees may perform other related duties at an equivalent level.
Not all duties listed are necessarily performed by each individual in the classification.
· Acts as a functional liaison between the midwifery service and other hospital departments. Participates in
organizational and departmental role development of Advanced Practice Providers/Allied Health Professionals
· Develops and maintains Certified Nurse-Midwife quality assurance process; updates and develops clinical
guidelines, standards and procedures; and prepares quality assurance and statistical reports monthly.
· Evaluates the work performance of the Certified Nurse-Midwives and identifies training needs (providing or
arranging for such training).
· Supports the professional growth and development of the Certified Nurse-Midwives as individuals and as a
· Plans, assigns, directs and schedules the work of the nurse-midwifery staff to provide the full scope of nurse-
midwifery care at AHS.
· May practice the full scope of nurse-midwifery (clinical), as needed.
· Represents the nurse-midwives and/or the Maternal Child Health Department in meetings, including chairing
· Supervises and evaluates the functions of other staff working in the Maternal Child Health Department.
· Education: Graduate of a Board approved program in Nurse-Midwifery or equivalency that is satisfactory
to the Board of Registered Nursing; graduate of an accredited Nursing Program required; Bachelor's or
Master's degree required.
· Minimum Experience: Five years of full time recent Certified Nurse-Midwife experience in an acute care hospital
setting. Prior People management/supervisory experience required.
· Preferred Licenses/Certifications: Possession of a current certificate as Nurse-Midwife issued by the American
College of Nurse-Midwives.
· Required Licenses/Certifications: BLS - Basic Life Support Certification - issued by AHA-American Heart Association.
· Required Licenses/Certifications: Must apply for, be granted and maintain Allied Health Staff privileges with AHS.
· Required Licenses/Certifications: Possession of a current Nurse-Midwife certificate issued by the Board of Registered
Nursing of the State of California.
· Required Licenses/Certifications: Valid license to practice as a Registered Nurse in the State of California.
· Required Licenses/Certifications: Possession of a DEA number.