Licensed Vocational Nurse
- San Leandro, CA
- Fairmont Hospital
- FMT Skilled Nursing Facility
- Services As Needed / Per Diem - Varies
- Req #: 26321-17388
- Posted: July 9, 2020
SUMMARY: Under general supervision, to provide para-professional nursing care patients in a County hospital or clinic; to administer prescribed medications and treatments to patients; to provide bedside care for patients; to assist physicians in physical examinations; and to perform other related duties as required Qualifications License: Possession of a current license to practice as a Licensed Vocational Nurse in the State of California.
DUTIES & ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: NOTE: The following are the duties performed by employees in this classification. However, employees may perform other related duties at an equivalent level. Not all duties listed are performed by each individual in the classification.
1. Reads patient charts and records to note condition of patients and treatments; medications, special diets, and procedures ordered by physicians; prepares, administers and records prescribed medications, injections and treatments under the supervision of a physician or registered nurse; observes and reports any deviation in patient's condition from the normal to a physician or registered nurse.
2. Obtains patient histories; takes patients' vital signs, tests urine; draws blood samples from patients; keeps accurate patient records.
3. Assists physicians in examinations and medical procedures; may assist in a variety of medical/specialty clinics; prepares patient for examinations and positions them as required; instructs and counsels patients regarding tests and collection of specimens; assures proper handling and transporting of laboratory specimens.
4. Administers care according to designated instructions and nursing care plans; irrigates eyes, ears, nose, and other areas; applies dressings to wounds; gives enemas; catheterizes patients; gives tracheotomy care and maintains sterile techniques.
5. Provides bedside care including bathing, changing patients' clothing and other patient hygiene procedures; turns patients to prevent bed sores; assists patients in special equipment such as respirators and rocking beds; transfers patients from one piece of equipment to another; assists patients in motion exercises and other prescribed treatment; participates in maintaining a safe and therapeutic environment for patients and their families.
6. May maintain a treatment, utility or equipment room; prepares sterile dressings and treatment sets; may supervise a small group of Nursing Assistants; in absence of a Registered Nurse, may have responsibility for a shift on a ward.
7. If assigned to a telemetry unit, monitors telemetry units and alerts primary nurse staff of changes in underlying rhythms and of any life threatening arrhythmias that may develop; interprets and posts telemetry strips at the hours specified; admits and discharges patients with telemetry units as appropriate.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: License: Possession of a current license to practice as a Licensed Vocational Nurse in the State of State California. As required by assigned unit, requires Advanced Cardiac Life Support certification. Must pass cardiac monitoring/EKG test with 90% proficiency or greater. SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: Possession of a valid IV certification for Licensed Vocational Nurse-IV Certified, not all LVN's Certain positions require possession of a current cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) verification. To be eligible for positions at Hospital candidates must also have graduated from a school of vocational nursing within the past twelve months OR have had recent vocational nursing refresher courses OR have had recent experience in an acute care facility. (A combination of education and appropriate experience would be acceptable.)