This job posting is no longer active.
- Oakland, CA
- Human Resources
- Benefits Administration
- Full Time - Day
- Req #: 26908-17863
- Posted: July 16, 2020
SUMMARY: Oversee the administration, communication, implementation, recordkeeping and reporting of health & welfare benefit plans and programs for Alameda Health System. Manage the daily operations of the Benefits Department; provide advice and guidance on benefit policy and procedures. Ensure that AHS health & welfare benefit plans and programs are administered appropriately and in compliance with applicable laws and regulations as well as AHS policies. Ensure a consistent high level of customer service is provided. Proactively identify and implement process improvement initiatives.
DUTIES & ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: NOTE: Following are the duties performed by employees in this classification. However, employees may perform other related duties at an equivalent level. Not all duties listed are necessarily performed by each individual in the classification
1. Select, train, supervise, develop and counsel Benefits staff to ensure that AHS health & welfare benefit plans and programs are administered appropriately; ensure consistent high levels of customer service through the timely delivery of accurate information and timely processing of transactions.
2. Ensure all benefit plan descriptions and communication materials are accurate and up-to-date; develop communication and training materials related to employee benefits.
3. Provide support (training and information) to employees during open enrollment and at other times as needed.
4. Plan and conduct periodic benefit fairs/educational sessions to reinforce employee understanding.
5. Evaluate and as appropriate, develop and document Benefit policies, practices and procedures; ensure that these policies and practices are in compliance with applicable laws and regulations and are consistent with plan documents, insurance contracts and Memos of Understanding.
6. Maintain up-to-date knowledge of employee benefit issues, trends and regulations; network with peers, advisors, consultants, and regulators.
7. Manage aspects of the Benefits Department including planning and organizing daily operations, providing technical and functional guidance to staff and to leadership.
8. Ensure all health & welfare benefit plans and programs are in compliance with applicable laws.
9. Manage relationships with insurers; conduct quarterly reviews, analyze utilization, and participate in negotiating contract changes related to benefits and/or services provided.
10. Manage the day to day relationships with outside vendors including Broker/Consultants, COBRA , FSA and Dependent Verification administrators to ensure a high level of compliance and service is provided.
11. Act as a back up to the for the processing the recurring retirement wires transfers.
12. Assist in negotiating renewals and with the RFP process.
13. Proactively partner with the HRIS, HR Business Partners, Payroll, Wellness Manager, HR Service Center and other internal groups to achieve optimal results.
14. Periodically participate in and analyze employee benefit surveys on behalf of AHS.
15. Advise AHS leadership about trends and cost control initiatives.
16. Present new programs to management.
17. Prepare and audit detailed benefit reports and work with HRIS staff to improve and automate reporting metrics.
18. Prepare, update and/or review insurance certificates, summary plan descriptions and summary annual reports.
19. Assist with supporting labor negotiations with research and guidance on benefit regulations, presenting benefits information, competitive positioning and costing as needed.
Preferred Experience: Experience working in a healthcare, Union environment for a medium sized organization.
Preferred Licenses/Certifications: Certified Employee Benefit Specialist (CEBS) designation.
Required Education: Bachelor’s degree in Business, Industrial Relations or Human Resources.
Required Experience: Seven (7) to ten (10) years employee benefits related experience in mid-sized organization with increasing responsibility; five (5) years of people management experience.