Director, Graduate Medical Education (rev 122116)
- Oakland, CA
- Highland General Hospital
- PG Educ Administration
- Full Time - Day
- Req #: 26794-17772
- Posted: May 22, 2020
SUMMARY: Responsible for the management, coordination and oversight of the Graduate Medical Education and Continuing Medical Education Programs; manages the ACGME accreditation requirements; site visits, reporting requirements, and clinical learning environment reviews; works closely with Program Directors, APD's, hospital administration, labor relations, and resident physician CIR union.
DUTIES & ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: NOTE: The following are the duties performed by employees in this classification. However, employees may perform other related duties at an equivalent level. Not all duties listed are necessarily performed by each individual in the classification.
1. Assumes responsibility and accountability as custodian of records for all files, minutes, reports, etc., relative to the activity of the Graduate Medical Education and Continuing Medical Education Programs.
2. Coordinate and oversees related administrative duties and budgetary examination for the program; provides Finance Department with IRIS supporting documentation for reimbursement audits.
3. Creates, introduces and executes strategies to improve and develop the GME program in accordance with strategic objectives.
4. Enables and assists residents to obtain clinical productivity information, such as improving access to productivity and quality measures, data and resident education.
5. Engages in education research and fosters scholarly productivity of the AHS GME community.
6. Ensures the development and maintenance of healthy clinical learning environments in all locations that AHS residents and clinical fellows train (e.g. CLER QI/PS Curriculum and development of a Housestaff Wellness Center).
7. Establishes and supports a Resident Community; creates Mentor Roles and Community Involvement; including national conferences, travel, board reviews, memberships, research support, recognition, training products, wellness, accreditation, visiting lecturers, loan-forgiveness, faculty development and other required training expenses (e.g. orientation, in-training exams, specialty courses, away rotations, etc).
8. Leads strategic and operational discussions involving GME within AHS.
9. Participates in institutional efforts that span the educational continuum, including competency-based transitions from medical school to GME, as well as the use of data in continuing professional development to change behavior, impact systems and improve patient outcomes (e.g. working with Clinical Competency Committees).
10. Performs other duties as assigned.
11. Provides leadership and administrative service to the medical education support staff.
12. Provides leadership for Health Science Libraries/CME.
13. Serves as a mentor and resident expert for Medical Education and maintain compliance with ACGME, AOA, IMQ, TJC, CMS, local, federal and organizational standards.
14. Serves as GME administrator for New Innovations to ensure optimal use, consistency of data and reporting between programs, Finance Office, Medical Staff Services, Human Resources and Medical Education departments.
15. Serves as the liaison contact for affiliates, residency/fellowship programs and regulatory agencies.
16. Supports accreditation self-study and site visit processes and timelines; ensures program readiness for individual site visits and for compliance with all aspects of the ACGME's accreditation system, as well as other accrediting bodies.
17. Supports program change initiatives (e.g. incremental, structural, and long-term initiatives); monitors and measures continuous educational improvement model for the overall GME program.
18. Works closely with the Medical Team and Staff to lead and manage the undergraduate, graduate and continuing medical education programs for the hospital.
Required Education: Bachelor's Degree.
Preferred Education: Master's degree in education, healthcare administration, business administration or a related field from an accredited college or university or other related field preferred.
Required Experience: Five years of graduate medical education experience or an equivalent combination of experience and education is required.
Preferred Experience: Three years leadership experience preferred; previous exposure to bargaining positions preferred.