AHD Clinical Dietitian
- Alameda, CA
- Alameda Hospital
- AHD Dietary Services
- Services As Needed / Per Diem - Day
- Allied Health
- Req #: 26414-17457
- Posted: May 18, 2020
SUMMARY: Responsible for the assessment and planning of nutritional care of residents in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local standards, guidelines and regulations, policies and procedures, and in coordination with the Director/Dietary Supervisor to ensure that quality food service and nutritional care is provided to the patients/residents.
DUTIES & ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: NOTE: The following are the duties performed by employees in
this classification. However, employees may perform other related duties at an equivalent level. Not all duties
listed are necessarily performed by each individual in the classification.
1. Maintains clinical nutrition documentation for patients/residents in accordance with facility policy and procedure, as well as state and federal regulations. Ensures that all assessments and progress notes documented in the medical records are accurate, informative, and descriptive of the services provided and of the patient's/resident's response to the plan of care. Ensures all documentation is completed within the required timeframes and in accordance with facility policy and procedure, as well as state and federal regulations.
2. Participates with the interdisciplinary team in developing, implementing, and evaluating plans of care; attends meetings/conferences to discuss the clinical care of patient/resident; communicates patient/resident concerns and response to interventions to interdisciplinary team members and direct care staff.
3. Interviews residents, family members, legal representatives, significant others, and staff to obtain and update information needed to develop individualized plan of care, protect and promote patients'/residents' rights, and accommodate individual needs and preferences. Involves the resident/family in planning objectives and goals for the patients/residents.
4. Ensures a dietary kardex or similar record of diet orders and food preferences is utilized in the dietary department. Coordinates with the dietary supervisor/diet aide the review and customization of regular and therapeutic menus to meet the food preferences of the residents in accordance with established policies, procedures, Diet Manual guidelines, standard of practice, and regulations. Coordinates with the dietary supervisor/diet aide to ensure that all diets ordered by the physician are planned on the therapeutic menu. Assists the dietary supervisor/diet aide with processing diet orders and changes to ensure than accurate menus/tray cards are available for each resident.
5. Routinely obtains feedback and suggestions from residents via Resident Council, meal rounds, and/or interviews with residents, family, and staff to improve the menu and quality of food.
6. Provides suggestions to improve the menu.
7. Monitors food temperatures and quality at point of service in the various dining locations via test trays.
8. Monitors the distribution of nourishments, supplements, and meals to patients/residents and takes corrective action when necessary.
9. Visits new patients/residents upon admission to obtain a diet history and food preferences.
10. Conducts meal rounds to ensure that patients/residents are receiving foods in the amount, type, consistency, and frequency required to maintain or improve nutritional status.
11. Routinely inspects the food service area(s) and practices for compliance with facility policies, procedures, standards, and applicable federal, state, and local regulations. Completes evaluations and develops action plans with the dietary supervisor/Director and the administrator for items that need improvement.
12. Participates in the facility's quality assurance program.
13. Participates in the the Joint Commission and long-term care survey process. Undertakes corrective action while survey is in progress. Works with the dietary supervisor and other facility departments to develop survey plan of correction.
14. Reports all hazardous conditions/equipment to the Director/Associate Administrator immediately.
15. Assists the dietary supervisor/Director with training dietary department employees.
Education: Bachelor's Degree in dietetics, nutrition, or related field.
Minimum Experience: One (1) years experience in acute care/long-term care service nutrition.
PREFERRED LICENSES/CERTIFICATIONS: ServSafe Food Safety Certification preferred.
REQUIRED LICENSES/CERTIFICATION: Registered Dietitian with the Commission on Dietetic Registration of the American Dietetic Association.