AHD Senior Surgical Technician
- Alameda, CA
- Alameda Hospital
- AHD Surgery
- Services As Needed / Per Diem - Day
- Allied Health
- Req #: 25703-16926
- Posted: January 15, 2020
SUMMARY: The AHD Senior Surgical Technician assists in surgery in the following capacities; scrub nurse, assisting in transportation of patients and general maintenance and care of the department and equipment and can demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide appropriate age specific care. Performs related duties as required.
DUTIES & ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: NOTE: The following are the duties performed by employees in this classification, however, employees may perform other related duties at an equivalent level. Not all duties listed are necessarily performed by each individual in the classification.
1. Assists surgeon as scrub tech according to prescribed standards. Scrubs, gown and gloves in accordance with performance standards. Sets up table, instruments and supplies according to type of surgery. Assists in preparation and draping of patient and operative area as needed. Assists and anticipates needs of surgeon in instruments, sutures, sponges and supplies according to technique, procedure and special requirements. Observes patient and is ready for emergencies. Maintains correct count of sponges, needles and instruments with circulating nurse and reports correctness and discrepancies as set up in standard policy and procedure. Maintains aseptic technique at all times. Assists in maintenance and care of specimens. Assists in application of dressing, casts and in moving patient as needed. Decontaminates all equipment, instruments and supplies and cleans room as directed by procedure.
2. Assists surgical team as a second circulator when directed by RN Circulator. Compiles and makes available all necessary supplies according to needs. Provides special equipment before, during and after procedure according to needs. Observes and protects patient before, during and after procedure by correct positioning, care and use of aseptic technique. Positions patient, adjusts table and other equipment as directed before, during and after the procedure. Prepares operative area and assists with draping as directed. Assists RN in maintenance of correct count of sponges, needles and instruments. Observes patient and condition, and is prepared for all emergencies. Assists in maintenance of aseptic technique at all times. Maintains and cares for all specimens as directed, to prevent loss or damage. Assists in application of dressing, moving patient and transfer to Recovery.
3. Assists in housekeeping duties and cleanliness of the department as directed to insure safe patient environment. When necessary, cleans rooms, furniture, equipment and suites. Maintains traffic control through use of prescribed areas and corridors. Assists in maintenance of instruments and supplies by proper cleaning, care, utilization and sterilization as directed. Assists in conductivity and bacteriological counts as directed to assure safety. Maintains awareness of safety hazards and use of equipment to prevent damage or harm to personnel and patients.
4. Assists in cystoscopy procedures as directed. Assists Urologist according to prescribed standards of patient care. Provides necessary equipment and supplies as directed. Maintains cleanliness and orderliness of area as prescribed. Observes patients and makes reports to supervisor as directed.
5. Assists in transportation of patients to and from the surgical suite as directed by procedure. Provides clean carts and linen for each patient. Identifies patient and receives instructions from ward personnel when receiving patient. Observes and watches patient at all times, providing a safe environment through proper care and handling. Notifies personnel of patient's arrival to insure continuity of care and proper identification and observation. Is prompt and swift in proceeding when directed to bring a patient to the surgical suite.
6. Assists in maintenance, care and cleanliness of supplies. Handles equipment and items correctly to insure ever present usability and safety of supplies and materials. Assists in maintaining adequate supplies in the suite to assure availability. Assists in workroom in cleaning, storage, packing and sterilizing instruments. Assists in inventory of supplies and equipment to insure availability and maintain set level. Assists in storing and stocking of supplies. Knows where all supplies are kept and is able to put them away. Distributes supplies to rooms and suite as directed according to use, number and item.
7. Maintains and increases standards of performance and education. Attends all department in-service meetings and assists in instigation of learning experience. Assists in staff development and revision of procedures.
8. Is on call for emergencies according to posted call schedule. Responds immediately when called upon for emergency services.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Preferred Education: High School Diploma or Equivalent. Education: Graduate of an approved Surgical/OR Technician School, medical corpsman training or on the job training. Minimum Experience: Two years recent surgical/OR technician experience. Preferred Experience: Experience in ophthalmology, orthopedic and/or general surgery. Required Licenses/Certifications: BLS – Basic Life Support Certification – issued by the American Heart Association.