Mental Health Specialist I
This job posting is no longer active.
- San Leandro, CA
- John George Psychiatric Hospital
- Nursing ER Crisis JGP Psych
- Part Time - Evening
- Mental Health & Social Services
- Req #: 25983-17140
- Posted: January 24, 2020
SUMMARY: In support of professional mental health care professionals, provides mental health care, including activity planning, self-care and generally acting as a front line care-giver in the mission of providing a safe and therapeutic environment.
DUTIES & ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: NOTE: The following are the duties performed by employees in this classification. However, employees may perform other related duties at an equivalent level. Not all duties listed are necessarily performed by each individual in the classification.
1. Assists with intake and orientation of new patients and discharge of current patients.
2. Interacts with patients in the form of interviews and observation as to alignment with care plan; reports behavior/actions to nursing staff/physicians that deviate from plan.
3. Facilitates and participates in group education sessions.
4. Assists patients with tasks of active daily living (bathing, grooming, other miscellaneous personal hygiene, eating etc.).
5. Monitors patient diet, exercise and activity plans; compares to actual situation and makes adjustments as necessary.
6. Collects and documents vital signs; reports items out of range as necessary.
7. Intervenes and de-escalates patient physical confrontations or abusive verbal behavior with counseling up to and including restraint if necessary.
8. Conducts safety rounds/checks; confiscates unauthorized items; reports incidents.
9. Performs other duties as required.
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities as well as possession of any required licenses or certifications is qualifying.
Required Education: High School diploma or equivalent.
Required Experience: One year experience in an inpatient acute psychiatric hospital or acute care hospital.
Required Licenses/Certifications: CPI-Crisis Prevention Intervention Training (required for all positions at John George Psychiatric Pavilion and certain positions in the Emergency Department); BLS - Basic Life Support Certification issued by the American Heart Association.
Preferred Licenses/Certifications: Nursing Assistant Certification.