AHP Anesthesiologist AHD
This job posting is no longer active.
- Oakland, CA
- Alameda Health Partners (AHP)
- AHP Anesthesiology
- Part Time - Varies
- Physicians & Dentists
- Req #: 25508-16752
- Posted: November 26, 2019
Alameda Health Partners is seeking full and part time physicians for the Department of Anesthesiology, Perioperative and Pain Medicine at Alameda Hospital located in Alameda, California. The Hospital was founded in 1894 and is the longtime hospital choice for the East Bay island community with 125 licensed beds on the Island of Alameda. Alameda Hospital is affiliated with Alameda Health System, and provides emergency, inpatient, outpatient and wellness services. Alameda Health System, since its founding, has been a vital community asset, which embodies a core mission of “Caring, Healing, Teaching, Serving All.” The heart of its mission is to promote wellness, eliminate disparities, and improve and maintain the health of residents of the diverse communities of Alameda County.
This position reports to the Chair of the Department of Anesthesiology, Perioperative and Pain Medicine. This physician will provide services including inpatient, emergency, and on-call care.
Clinical Responsibilities for Anesthetic and Surgical Case Classifications:
Knowledge, skills and abilities primarily include, but are not limited to:
- Management of anesthesia within Operating Room (OR)
- General surgery, emergency surgery, Orthopedic surgery including techniques such as regional nerve blocks, neuraxial anesthesia, awake fiber-optic intubation, total IV anesthesia (TIVA), lung isolation with double lumen tubes and/or bronchial blockers, use of invasive and non-invasive monitoring techniques such as arterial-lines
- Clearly explains to patient (and family, if necessary) the necessary risks, benefits, alternatives, expectations associated with various anesthetic techniques. Answer questions and document on required anesthesia records and informed consent forms. Patient or family signatures are obtained.
- Emergency anesthetics may forgo such discussion if risk to life or limb is present
- Techniques to allow patients to undergo surgery or invasive medical procedures include, but are not limited to, local, regional, intravenous, inhalational, and/or neuraxial methods.
1. Confer with other medical professionals to determine type and method of anesthetic or sedation to render patient able to comfortably tolerate the procedure or surgery.
2. Coordinate administration of anesthetics with surgeons during operation.
3. Decide when patients have recovered or stabilized enough to be sent to another room or ward or to be sent home following outpatient surgery.
4. Examine patient, obtain medical history and use diagnostic tests to determine risk during surgical, obstetrical, and other medical procedures.
5. Monitor patient before, during, and after anesthesia and counteract adverse reactions or complications.
6. Record type and amount of anesthesia and patient condition throughout procedure
7. Coordinate and direct work of nurses, medical technicians and other health care providers.
10. Diagnose patient condition(s), using examinations, tests and reports.
11. Inform trainees and staff of types and methods of anesthesia administration, signs of complications, and methods to counteract reactions.
12. Manage anesthesia services, coordinating with other medical activities and formulating plans and procedures.
13. Order laboratory tests, x-rays and other diagnostic procedures.
14. Position patient on procedure table to maximize patient comfort and surgical accessibility.
15. Provide and maintain life support and airway management, and help prepare patients for emergency surgery.
16. Provide medical care and consultation in many settings, prescribing medication and treatment and referring patients for surgery.
17. Schedule and maintain use of procedure suite, including operating, wash-up, waiting rooms and anesthetic and sterilizing equipment.
DUTIES & ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Systematically assesses patients' health status, arrives at appropriate diagnosis(es), and implements care plan for effective clinical outcomes
• Considers thorough range of treatment/preventive options and arrives at a recommended course of action that is age appropriate, culturally appropriate, realistic, and attainable
• Appropriately manages patient care and health status following initiation of treatment/preventive plan, and monitors and adjusts as warranted
• Communicates effectively with patients and family so that they understand their diagnosis, treatment plans, and need for follow-up care
• Educates and encourages patients to become active participants in their own healthcare-related behavior and provides patient education materials for use in encouraging wellness
• Seeks consultation and advises by providing adequate information to consulting physicians.
• Documents according to established guidelines to facilitate ongoing quality of care in a timely manner
• Performs the appropriate medical procedures within the scope of the Practice as defined by the Practice's credentialing and privileging processes
• Maintains and improves skill level through participation in continuing medical education
• Actively participates in clinical quality improvement initiatives
2. Contributes to effective and efficient practice management policies and practices that support patient access to medical care
• Participates in access planning for the Practice site, ensuring appropriate amount of same-day patient access
• Collaborates in establishing personal numbers of relative value units to be budgeted and achieves targeted goal
• Fulfills commitments for call assignments with clear communication and follows through on work initiated
• Supports appropriate billing for professional services through timely documentation
• Assists with the preparation for regulatory survey
3. Manages patient care through appropriate use of available resources
• Appropriately prescribes and orders ancillary services
4. Provides leadership for Practice and community relations
• Regularly attends and actively participates in Practice staff meetings or physician/staff meetings
*Demonstrates commitment to customers
• Takes action to meet customer needs/desires with respect to customer diversity
• Respects confidentiality and shares information with only those who need to know
*Demonstrates commitment to fellow employees
• Seeks to understand and value differences between employees
• Treats other employees with dignity and respect
• Resolves conflict in a positive manner
Education: Completion of an ACGME approved residency in Anesthesiology or foreign equivalent.
Required Licenses/Certifications: Board certification per medical staff bylaws. ACLS certification and NRP certification required.
Required Licenses/Certifications: Possession of a valid license to practice medicine in the State of California.