- Oakland, CA
- Highland General Hospital
- HGH Pharmacy
- Services As Needed / Per Diem - Day
- Allied Health
- Req #: 24533-15998
- Posted: December 2, 2019
SUMMARY: Under the general supervision of a registered Pharmacist to assist in manufacturing, packaging, and distributing medications; and do related work as required.
DUTIES & ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: NOTE: However, employees may perform other related duties at an equivalent level. Not all duties listed are necessarily performed by each individual in the classification.
1. Fills orders and dispensed medications under the supervision of a licensed Pharmacist (pulls prepackaged medication or obtains stock containers); prepares parenteral solutions using knowledge of pharmaceutical calculations and good aseptic techniques; prepackages oral, parenteral, and external medications using various packaging and labeling equipment.
2. Picks up/receives physician orders and reviews for completeness; determines availability of drugs (ordered by generic or trade names) on hospital and/or Medi-Cal formularies; obtains patient information on prescriptions and maintain the Pharmacy Patient Medication Profiles; interprets physician’s directions and types prescription labels.
3. Orders medication and pharmaceutical supplies under the supervision of a licensed Pharmacist; receives and verifies delivered orders; restocks medication shelves and supply bins; rotates and removes outdated drugs; maintains a clean working environment including Pharmacy equipment and work counters; maintains stock records.
4. Picks up and replaces floor stock containers of solutions, ointments and some medications; delivers medications directly to the nursing units or patient’s medication drawer.
5. Inputs into computer terminal dispensing and billing information; updates files on new drugs, changing drug costs, new physicians, etc; maintains other appropriate records; performs tasks necessary to maintain the Pharmacy area and equipment in order.
Education: Associate of Arts degree in a field of study directly related to the duties performed by Pharmacy Technician, such as: Health Sciences, Biological Sciences, physical sciense or natural sciences; OR any other course that provides at least 240 hours of theoretical and practical instruction provided that at least 120 of those hours are in the theoretical instruction and is certified by the American Society of Hospital Pharmacists. OR current enrollment in an ACPE accredited Doctor of Pharmacy program.
Minimum Experience: Equivalent of one year full-time experience (1500 hours) performing the tasks of a pharmacy technician in an inpatient hospital, a correctional facility, a Certificate of Completion from a Military Technician Program or an out-state community or outpatient pharmacy; OR a minimum of 1500 hours experience within the last 3 years working in a community our outpatient pharmacy performing the tasks outlined in Section 1793.3 of the California Code of Regulations.
Required Licenses/Certifications: CPI -Crisis Prevention Intervention Training (required for all positions at John George Psychiatric Pavilion; and certain positions in the Emergency Department).
Required Licenses/Certifications: Registered and certified as a Pharmacy Technician by the California State Board of Pharmacy OR Pharmacist Intern license by the California Board of Pharmacy.