Director, Nursing Services - Critical Care
- Oakland, CA
- Highland General Hospital
- HGH Nursing Administration
- Full Time - Day
- Req #: 25105-16451
- Posted: November 7, 2019
SUMMARY: The Director, Nursing Services –Critical Care provides administrative direction with 24-hour 7-day
a week responsibility. Provides system-wide leadership to maximize the contribution of Patient Care Services to
the overall performance of AHS through effective planning and positive quality outcomes; directs the activities and
services ensuring that responsibilities and activities are carried out in accordance with AHS policies and procedures.
The incumbent functions as the chief staff employee ensuring consistent operations and care standards across all
locations. Effective job performance requires the exercise of critical judgment in analyzing complex problems and
in formulating recommendations with far-reaching consequences. Performs related duties as required.
DUTIES & ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: NOTE: The following are the duties performed by employees in
this classification. However, employees may perform other related duties at an equivalent level. Not all duties
listed are necessarily performed by each individual in the classification.
1. Ensures appropriate management of personnel through staff development, performance evaluations, goal setting
and when necessary, progressive discipline.
2. Ensures compliance with state and federal licensing regulations and/or accreditation programs within areas of responsibility.
3. Establishes departmental goals, objectives, and budgets in accordance with the Medical Center’s mission and strategic plans,
assuring that short-term objectives and budgets are consistent with long-term plans anticipated for the future.
4. Functions independently within the framework of the Medical Center and Emergency, Trauma and Injury prevention Nursing
Care and services strategic direction, philosophy, goals and objectives, policies and budgetary circumstances.
5. Maintains quality patient care service by planning developing, implementing and evaluating policies, procedures, patient care
standards, programs and/or services consistent with the overall goals, objectives and activities of the Medical Center.
6. Participates in the development and oversight of quality programs, activities and performance improvement to measure, assess
and improve the quality of ICU, Emergency, Trauma and Injury prevention Nursing Care and services delivered to the patients.
7. Promotes a positive image of the Medical Center in a relationship with other institutions, regulatory bodies and community
Education: Master’s Degree in Nursing, health or business administration.
Minimum Experience: Five to seven years progressive management experience; in a leadership/management level position
and in clinical/specialty area(s).
Preferred Licenses/Certifications: MICN - Mobile Intensive Care Nurse and/or TNCC -Trauma Nurse Core Course.
Required Licenses/Certifications: BLS - Basic Life Support Certification - issued by AHA-American Heart Association.
Required Licenses/Certifications: TNCC -Trauma Nurse Core Course (Required for Emergency department).Required Licenses/Certifications: Valid license to practice as a Registered Nurse in the State of California.