Supervisor, Patient Accounting
- San Leandro, CA
- Patient Financial Svcs - Pro
- Full Time - Day
- Req #: 24977-16348
- Posted: November 6, 2019
SUMMARY: Under the general direction of the Manager of Patient Accounting, responsible for the coordination, monitoring and supervision of all daily activities within an assigned billing or collection unit within the Patient Accounting Department. Supervision includes selection of new employees, training and orientation, workload assignment and completion of performance evaluations for employees at the Billing Technician III and below. Performs complex billing, collection and payment posting tasks requiring the application of specialized knowledge and a comprehensive understanding of billing and collection functions; performs other related duties as required.
DUTIES & ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: NOTE: The following are the duties performed by employees in this classification. However, employees may perform other related duties at an equivalent level. Not all duties listed are necessarily performed by each individual in the classification.
1. Supervises specific billing and collection units, hires and trains new employees, assigns work, disciplines and
counsels work related performance issues and responsible for managing staff against workload goals and
standards of performance.
2. Assumes responsibility and oversight of accounts for specific payor classes or billing unit; including posting
payments, adjusting, resolving billing discrepancies and managing denials and appeals.
3. Performs special research, develops new policies and procedures, implements process improvements and
troubleshoots billing and collections procedural problems.
4. Keeps abreast of specific payor and billing and collection requirements; applies knowledge to ensure that
claims are accurate, billed correctly and compliant with current billing regulations and payor requirements.
5. Leads or assists with the implementation of information system projects and applications that improve internal
departmental operations and claims processing; resolves technical issues and problems with outside vendors.
6. Compiles accounting, program revenue, and statistical reports for departmental review or as required by State and
Federal agencies; acts as a liaison with other outside agencies and Medical Center departments regarding billing
and collection activities.
7. Audits claims, billing documents and hospital charge data to ensure the accuracy and completeness of claims;
collects, organizes, and summarizes statistical data and maintains specialized records in connection with the
various billing programs.
8. Assists the Patient Accounting Manager in the preparation, review and analysis of the operating budget,
productivity reports and departmental metrics.
9. Performs related billing and supervisory duties as required.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: EITHER I. Experience: Two years of experience in the class of Billing Technician III, or in an equivalent or higher-level class with Alameda County Medical Center OR II. Experience: Four years of full-time experience performing medical billing or medical accounts receivable functions; at least two years in a supervisory capacity.
REQUIRED LICENSES/CERTIFICATIONS: Valid California Driver's License.