This job posting is no longer active.
- San Leandro, CA
- Fairmont Hospital
- FMT Cafeteria
- Services As Needed / Per Diem - Varies
- Allied Health
- Req #: 24783-16188
- Posted: December 2, 2019
SUMMARY: Under close supervision at the I level and under general supervision at the II level, to develop and implement nutritional care plans and dietary treatments including therapeutic diets for patients; to discuss individual patient nutritional needs with heath team members; and to perform other related duties as required.
DUTIES & ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: NOTE: The following are the duties performed by employees in this classification. However, employees may perform other related duties at an equivalent level. Not all duties listed are necessarily performed by each individual in the classification.
1. Identifies patients at nutritional risk, and prioritizes nutrition intervention according to greatest needs.
2. Assesses nutritional status using recognized parameters. Obtains, evaluates and utilizes diet history, laboratory values, medications, anthropometric data, etc. to plan and implement nutritional care plans for patients; records pertinent dietetic information in patient’s medical records.
3. Assesses and interprets physician’s diet orders. Modifies menus for therapeutic diets; orders appropriate foods; verifies conformance of food served with dietary prescriptions and standards of quality; calculates caloric and specified nutrient values for special diets and tube feedings.
4. Assesses and monitors patient’s tolerance and acceptance of internal feedings and revise nutritional care plans accordingly. Determines results of nutritional intervention on patients’ nutritional and medical status.
5. Communicates pertinent information and discusses patients’ nutritional care needs with health care team; educates and provides orientation to health care team on nutrition related topics; informs health care team about laws, regulations and professional guidelines related to nutrition care.
6. Develops educational materials and uses them as aids in nutrition education; provides dietetic counseling to patients about meeting specific nutritional needs; instructs patients and families in dietary plans, food selection and adapting menus to individual needs.
7. Assists in ongoing quality assurance program that monitors patient care and delivery of nutritional care services; participates in applied research and related dietetic professional activities; prepares special studies and reports; provides nutrition education to dietetic personnel.
8. Attends meetings and conferences with other health care team members; participates in relevant professional self-development and continuing educational programs.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Possession of a Bachelor's Degree in food science, nutrition, dietetics, or closely related field. AND Completion of an approved Dietetic Internship as specified by the American Dietetic Association (ADA) OR completion of an ADA approved dietetic coordinated undergraduate program, traineeship or other ADA approved program.
REQUIRED LICENSES/CERTIFICATIONS: Must be eligible for or possess registration as a dietitian issued by the Commission on Dietetic Registration of the American Dietetic Association.