Medical Social Worker I
This job posting is no longer active.
- Oakland, CA
- Highland General Hospital
- Other Grant-Sexual Assault
- Temporary - Varies
- Care Management
- Req #: 24620-16066
- Posted: September 5, 2019
SUMMARY: Under close supervision, the entry level Medical Social WorkersI provides social case work services for AHS patients. Assists members of the hospital staff in evaluating the psychosocial implications of illness. Assists patients in adjusting to hospitalization and to aid them in discharge planning. Performs related duties as required.
DUTIES & ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: NOTE: The following are the duties performed by employees in this classification, however, employees may perform other related duties at an equivalent level. Not all duties listed are necessarily performed by each individual in the classification.
1. Attends staff meetings, training conferences, and other health related workshops in order to keep current with new developments in the field and to receive psychiatric and clinical interpretation of cases selected during supervisorial review.
2. Confers with patients to prepare them for discharge; advises patients of community resources available and assists them in using such resources; discusses alternative plans with patients and assists them in arriving at decisions; meets with families/friends to advise them of patient's social, emotional and medical needs.
3. Confers with supervisor regarding problem cases; receives guidance and direction in working with patients, in discharge planning, and in writing entries in patients' medical charts.
4. Documents assessments in patients' medical charts; keeps work records and required statistics.
5. Interviews patients, families and friends to gather social, and other information pertinent to patients' discharge plans; evaluates and analyzes such information and interprets findings to the hospital staff.
6. Makes discharge arrangements for patients; arranges for medical follow-up care; calls nursing homes and institutions to arrange for admission and care of patients; acts as liaison between the department, public and/or private social agencies.
7. Provides casework services in collaboration with the medical care of patients and family members referred by the hospital staff to determine the extent of social and emotional problems; interprets diagnoses to patients and their families to achieve adjustments to medical regimes, hospitalization, and diagnoses; reviews medical records to detect areas in which casework services may be required.
8. Reviews patient's financial status and ability to pay; works with other hospital staff as required to assure that patient has the necessary equipment, etc., at discharge.
Education: Possession of a master's degree in Social Welfare, from a recognized college or university accredited by the Council on Social Work Education.