Clinical Nurse V
- Oakland, CA
- Highland General Hospital
- Full Time - Day
- Req #: 24267-15785
- Posted: November 7, 2019
Our team is seeking a Nurse Manager to oversee a fast paced dynamic teaching facility. Our health system is in the midst of moving to EPIC and this will a large component of this incumbent’s role. If you’re looking for a team that has a proven track record for longevity and great processes already in place this may be the position for you.
SUMMARY: Under general direction, manages the nursing services of assigned patient care areas. Responsible for the effective implementation of the philosophy, goals, policies and procedures of the organization related to nursing care. Performs related duties as required.
DUTIES & ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: NOTE: The following are the duties performed by employees in this classification. However, employees may perform other related duties at an equivalent level. Not all duties listed are necessarily performed by each individual in the classification.
1. Contributes to the establishment of Nursing Department goals and objectives and routinely reports progress to immediate supervisor.
2. Determines and monitors priorities essential to achievement of goals pertinent to area of responsibility.
3. Assures the establishment and maintenance of an organizational structure on each nursing unit for which responsible promotes effective and economic utilization of personnel and supplies.
a. Monitors utilization of personnel and rules and regulations relating to personnel.
b. Monitors adequacy and operability of supplies and equipment.
c. Monitors functioning of charge system.
4. Assures the establishment and maintenance of a system of administration on each unit for which responsible which facilitates the giving of patient care and the promotion of staff satisfaction.
a. Monitors availability and use of reference manual content.
b. Monitors implementation of standards set by State and National regulatory and accrediting agencies.
c. Encourages obtaining and incorporating when feasible suggestions and recommendations from staff.
d. Responds promptly to referred employee problems and grievances.
e. Assists and/or reviews priorities of patient care and unit operation and makes adjustments in resources and/or staffing.
f. Interprets and implements policies, procedures and regulations.
5. Evaluates progress of assigned areas and plans, implements and evaluates programs to meet current and anticipated needs.
6. Ensures the implementation and evaluation of individual nursing care plans.
7. Participates in the determination and, in area of responsibility, assures the implementation of patient care and document standards and quality assurance criteria and monitors the documentation of achievement.
8. Consults and plans with physicians and other professional staff in the coordination of health care delivery programs.
9. Makes regular rounds to units to evaluate status of patient care, operation and environment of the units and staff needs.
10. Monitors the regularity of programs providing for continuity of care, teaching of patients, control of infection in patient and staff, and coordination of care with other departments.
11. Directs the promotion of cordial and productive patterns of communication and relationships with medical staff and inter/intra departmental personnel.
12. Promotes an environment therapeutic for patients, pleasant for personnel and visitors and conducive to ease of communication, to respectful and impartial treatment of employees and patients, and to learning by staff and students.
13. Contributes to the planning and implementation of educational programs for employees, volunteers and students from affiliating school.
14. Provides guidance directed to the continuous progress of unit programs designed to facilitate methods of organization and administration of patient care.
15. Assists in developing and conducting studies.
16. Communicates regularly with immediate supervisor to report on status of activities, studies, trends, resources, personnel, programs, needs and problems.
17. Participates in interviewing, evaluating and recommending nursing personnel for employment and promotion.
18. Contributes to the development of staff performance standards and assures the monitoring of personnel activities and the evaluation of achievement and performance standards.
19. Monitors the preparation of performance evaluation records at prescribed intervals and participates in the preparation of the records and the content of the associated guidance sessions.
20. Prepares documentation to support requests for continuing enhancement of nursing capabilities and make budgetary recommendations on personnel, supplies, equipment, remodeling and contracts.
21. Participates with the school faculty in the planning of clinical experience programs for students from affiliating schools and assures the cordial and coordinated operation of the program.
22. Collaborates with other departments, agencies and public in the provisions of information relating to area of responsibility.
23. Participates in meetings with staff of unit for which responsible and conducts and/or participates in other meetings.
24. Utilizes known performance standards and job expectations to guide own behavior patterns and professional growth.
25. Adheres to approved personnel policies and procedures.
26. Provides required records and reports.
27. Provides direct patient care to serve as a role model and to contribute to learning of others.
28. TPM - maintains compliance of all ACS level 1 requirements.
Preferred Education: Graduate of an accredited Nursing program required; Bachelor's degree in Nursing
Minimum Experience: Either (1) Three years full time continuous experience as a Clinical Nurse III with AHS.
(2) Two years of full-time continuous experience as a Clinical Nurse IV with AHS. (3) The equivalent of four
years full-time experience as a Charge Nurse or the equivalent of three years full time experience as a Head
Nurse in a large acute facility. (NOTE: a Bachelor's Degree in Nursing from a recognized school may be
substituted for one year of the required experience and a Masters Degree in Nursing or related field from a
recognized school may be substituted for two years experience as a Head Nurse.)
Trauma Program Manager (TPM) minimum experience: Four years as a trauma nurse (ED or ICU) in an urban level 1 or level 2 trauma center. A working knowledge of American College of Surgeons Committee on Trauma standards (2014).
Preferred Education: Graduate of an accredited Nursing program required; Masters Degree in Nursing or related field.