SLH PBX Operator
This job posting is no longer active.
- San Leandro, CA
- San Leandro Hospital
- SLH Admitting
- Services As Needed / Per Diem - Varies
- Business Professional & IT
- Req #: 23864-15475
- Posted: February 21, 2020
SUMMARY: Under general direction, the SLH PBX Operator is responsible for operating the telephone console for the Avaya Telecommunications PBX and various communications devices at Alameda Health System. This position supports incoming, outgoing, inter organization, and interdepartmental calls to and from the hospital. Persons in this position coordinate emergency code responses; assuring the proper personnel is notified of emergency conditions throughout the campus. This position also researches patient and staff information from various computer systems and is responsible for overhead audio paging and electronic paging of individuals and groups via a wireless paging system. Additionally, this position is required to use two-way radios and various emergency communications equipment. Performs related duties as required.
DUTIES & ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: NOTE: The following are the duties performed by employees in this classification, however, employees may perform other related duties at an equivalent level. Not all duties listed are necessarily performed by each individual in the classification.
1. Can access and lookup information in, the employee directory system, the patient directory system, the wireless paging system, other database systems as needed.
2. Cheerfully greets and assists external and internal callers with a positive attitude; responding to their request by referring to various sources of information.
3. Enters data on a word processor from an established group of source documents, using standard references in a prescribed order and/or format.
4. Executes overhead paging for authorized reasons when requested to do so by the appropriate staff.
5. Inserts and extracts materials from subject-matter files, classifies material by nature of the subject matter, prepares new file folders, and updates current folders (paper and electronic) as needed.
6. Maintains a record of specific activity on various logs and on-line databases, such as Trauma log, Incident log, Daily on-call schedule, other logs as needed.
7. Maintains good housekeeping within the Switchboard Operator workstations by keeping information in an organized manner; tidying-up and cleaning and your workstation at the end of your shift.
8. Maintains the wireless pager systems by maintaining records of pager assignments; distributing pagers and supplies to AHS personnel as requested; executing wireless pages as defined by emergency ‘Code’ procedures; producing reports for pager usage, assignment, etc., as needed.
9. Manages communication with AHS management via voice, phone, and email methods.
10. Operates an Avaya telephone system PBX operator console (PC-based and/or console-based), providing centralized attendant services.
11. Operates emergency mobile phones in accordance with established procedures for their use.
12. Produces routine and ad-hoc reports from various computer systems.
13. Understands and executes the switchboard operator procedures when called upon to do so.
14. Understands the emergency codes and alarms of the hospital, the effect they have on patient care and safety, and how to respond to each.
15. Will remain calm and lead others during code responses and emergency conditions, notifying and coordinating the appropriate personnel and departments for (1) patient safety, (2) the best use of resources and (3) the quickest response in a timely manner.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Education: High School Diploma or equivalent. Minimum Experience: Three months as a Switchboard Operator, receptionist, or answering service environment.