Nurse Practitioner/Physician Assistant (rev 122216)
- Oakland, CA
- Highland General Hospital
- HCP 5th Floor Specialty Clinic
- Services As Needed / Per Diem - Day
- Nurse Practitioner/Physician Assistant
- Req #: 19551-9326
- Posted: May 24, 2019
SUMMARY: Under general direction, to assess and evaluate the health care needs of patients. Performs selected diagnostic and therapeutic tasks. Provides health care services and performs clinical procedures that require possession of advanced knowledge and skills and the exercise of a high degree of clinical judgment in assessment, diagnosis and treatment of patients. Performs related duties as required.
DUTIES & ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: NOTE: The following are the duties performed by employees in
this classification. However, employees may perform other related duties at an equivalent level. Not all
duties listed are necessarily performed by each individual in this classification.
1. Consults with physicians as necessary regarding health status of patients; refers complex cases to appropriate resources.
2. May participate in annual performance reviews, as needed.
3. Orders and/or performs laboratory and screening tests in accordance with approved protocol.
4. Performs history and complete physical examinations of patients either in a general medical setting or within the context of specialty clinics to which assigned; assesses the clinical status of patients; establishes and maintains health records.
5. Plans a program of care, seeking consultation with physicians, other professional staff, patients and families as needed or as required. Formulates problem lists based on clinical findings.
6. Provides and evaluates patient care according to protocol's and quality assurance program criteria.
7. Teaches patients, families and staff; provides counseling services related to promoting good health practices.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Education: Successful completion of an approved Nurse Practitioner training program that conforms to the Board of Registered Nursing standards; OR successful completion of a Physician Assistant program of instruction in primary health care approved by the Physician Assisting Examining Committee OR NCCPA for Physician's Assistant; graduate of an accredited Nursing program required; Bachelor's degree in Nursing preferred. Minimum Experience: Demonstrated experience which would provide the knowledge and skill necessary for successful performance as a Mid-Level Practitioner. Minimum Experience: One year in area of specialty (i.e. Cardiology, Neurology, G.I, Rheumatology, Orthopedics, Hematology, etc.), PG Residency of ED experience or post-graduate training in area of responsibility. Required Licenses/Certifications: For Physician Assistants, a valid Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) Number AND Certification by the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants (NCCPA). Required Licenses/Certifications: For Nurse Practitioners, possession of a current Furnishing Number issued by the California Board of Registered Nursing AND Certification by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) or American Academy of Nurse Practitioners (AANP) oR Certification by the National Certification Corporation as a Women's Health Care Nurse Practitioner (WHNP). Required Licenses/Certifications: Possession of a valid license to practice as a Registered Nurse and certification as a Nurse Practitioner issued by the California Board of Registered Nursing; OR possession of a valid Certificate as a Physician Assistant issued by the California Board of Medical Quality Assurance. Preferred Licenses/Certification: ACLS, ATLS, SART, dependant on area of specialty. Preferred Licenses/Certification: BLS - Basic Life Support Certification issued by the American Heart Association. Preferred Licenses/Certification: PALS - Pediatric Advanced Life Support Certification- AHA American Heart Association (Required for Emergency Department or if overseeing or providing pediatric care on a regular basis).